Monday, June 25, 2012

Today's Quiet Moment


"If, in spite of your goodwill, you cannot accomplish what you want
then take every opportunity to sing the psalms in your heart and to
understand them with your mind.  And if your mind wanders as you
read, do not give up; hurry back and apply your mind to the words once more."
St. Romuald


I opened my inbox and read the Catholic Digest Quiet Moment for today.  I definitely struggle daily to accomplish what I would like to accomplish...and that goes far beyond laundry!  This morning I had the desire to seek out and feel God's presence.  So often my prayer time is done in stolen moments...driving to drop off or pick up my kids, when I'm alone making dinner, moments before I fall asleep in my bed at night.  I'm not alone very much during the day(or night!), and I do a terrible job of scheduling in solid prayer time every day(or exercise time).

Today is a new day...and I had a desire for connection with God like I said before.  So besides talking to God and asking for opportunities to be close to Him, I took Today's Quiet Moment literally and decided to read a Psalm.  I read Psalm 8...Why?  I don't know, just seemed like the right #.

What I got out of Psalm 8 was a sense of awe at the God who made all things...the incredible moon and stars and everything on the Earth and, despite His incredible power and greatness, He cares so much for all of us!

So I am trying to take the "opportunity to sing the psalms in my heart and to understand them with my mind."  It's hard to wrap my head around that God cares so much for me.(and each one of us!)  Despite my lack of focused prayer, and my lack of patience, and all the other ways I fail each day as a mother, wife, daughter and friend, God continues to give me opportunities to try again and grow in all the roles of my life.

I'm really tired today...last night's sleep was less than stellar despite going to be a little early.  My little ones woke me up quite a bit last night.  So I'm feeling rather foggy and sluggish today.

Kate is also super clingy today and is not happy on the floor or in her bouncy seat.  She just wants to be held.  And that's ok...sometimes there are days I just want to be held.


I feel like I've been more introspective lately.  I feel like I'm waiting for internal directions...especially with writing.  I feel more connected to my kids and trying to better understand each of their needs and finding opportunities to meet those needs.  I definitely feel the pull to be more present in each moment, and I am trying to really immerse myself in the blessings I've been given.  (I'm still struggling to deal with the more negative moments with patience but I keep trying!)  


Sorry if this post sounds all over the place....I really have sleep deprived fog brain!