Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Small Steps

I observed a positive moment today with Peter I thought I would share.  After school today he requested watermelon that Sarah had left on the counter.  As I cut up the watermelon and put it into a bowl, Peter began running around the house in his usual Peter style.  He eventually made his way back into the kitchen and snagged a piece of watermelon out of the bowl.  I yelled to him from the living room, (we have an open floor plan), to please go wash his hands(so watermelon juice didn't get everywhere) and to use a fork.  We ask Peter to do a lot of things and usually he doesn't understand them or he just ignores it.

To my great surprise, he eventually made his way back to the kitchen.  He reached for another piece of watermelon...and stopped.  Peter turned around, opened the silverware drawer and......got a fork!  Not only did he get a fork....he actually used it!

I know it's only a small step, but it was a very pleasant surprise!

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

that is awesome! yay peter!

Michelle said...

Thanks:)