Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

I am very blessed to have friends in my life who, through examples with their own children, make me a better mom!

I think that each of us fights our own "demons", trying to avoid passing down the things from our own childhood that were less than ideal.  It's so hard to parent when the example was not made clear when we were children.  I'm sure that there are things my kids will look at in their lives growing up that they will improve upon. I am far from perfect!

I am thankful for the friends that God has put in my life that give me examples in mothering my children that I would not have known otherwise.  I have learned to love and respect my children as individuals in a much deeper way because I have seen my friends love and respect their children.  They have taught me by example and I am so grateful for them!

I didn't come from a large family.  It was only me and my younger sister.  Having a big family was always something that I wanted.  I don't know why.  Sometimes I can't believe that I have been married almost 20 years and have this house full of children!  I can't believe that some of these children will soon be adults...well, one technically is already!  Most days I feel like I am just flying by the seat of my pants.  It is especially hard trying to parent young adults when I skipped that stage myself by getting married and having a baby at 18.  It's hard to guide your kids when your own experiences were so different.

Happy Mother's Day to all who mother...whether by giving birth, adoption, or loving and caring for children who are not your own.  I send up a special prayer for all those women who pray to be moms but have not yet been given an answer to their prayers.  I pray that their longing for a child is fulfilled!

I am blessed to be a mother.  For me, that's all I really wanted.