Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Because God Sees.....

I'm sharing a story that I first read on my Facebook feed a few days ago when my friend, Beth, posted it.  Then my friend, Kim emailed it to me yesterday.......  

A woman was given a gift of a coffee table book about magnificent cathedrals. When she opened the front cover, she paused to soak in the inscription of this book that her friend had written: With admiration for the greatness of what you are building when no one sees.
A story, hidden in the pages of her book, is recounted: A rich man came to visit the cathedral while it was being built ... he saw a workman carving a tiny bird on the inside of a beam. He was puzzled and asked the man, "Why are you spending so much time carving that bird into a beam that will be covered by the roof? No one will ever see it."
And the workman replied, "Because God sees."*
I know that as a mom, it can be discouraging when so much of the mundane, everyday things I do go unnoticed or unappreciated.  My kids and husband are always on my heart.  (Of course, sometimes they are on my sh** list, too...but that's for another post.)

How many times do you walk through the grocery store and see one of your son's or daughter's favorite food items that they haven't had in a while and throw it in the cart?  Or stay up late because you forgot to wash a uniform that they need first thing in the morning?  Or make their favorite meal when they have had a bad week?  Or add up all the thought that goes into making their birthday or their Christmas special?

There are so many "little things" that help to make all of them feel loved and special.  So, remember, even when our family doesn't realize all of the thought and effort behind a loving act...."God sees."

"Little things done out of love are those that charm the Heart of Christ…
 On the contrary, the most brilliant deeds, when done without love, are but nothingness."
-St. Therese of Lisieux