Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Let There Be Light

It's been a long 24 hours of no power!  It just came back on a very short time ago...and it was welcomed by our whole house!

I have to say that yesterday, I really did ok with the lack of power.  I kept my outlook positive and tried to focus on the little things.  We got things to work as best they could.

Seeing the older boys pull out the big bins of Legos and all creating together, (except Mike who never really did get into Legos), was pretty heartwarming.  How often do you see teenagers, elementary school kids and a toddler all enjoying something together?(and with minimal fighting!)

Dinner was a bit of a challenge, but we grilled bbq chicken and I made a salad.  Eating by candlelight with all the kids is definitely not romantic(or all that much fun) and included lots of warnings to not blow out the candles(Luke and Peter) and to not lean over the flame and set their hair on fire.(Sarah and Ellie).

My parents had an extra small generator that we were able to hook our fridge up to so we didn't lose the food.  We went over to their house after supper to watch a movie..which was great.  Otherwise it would have been a really long night for the little ones!

Bath time by flash light was interesting.  Luke and I had fun making shadow puppets on the shower walls.

The time without power wasn't all bad.  We even had a built in night light from the very full moon outside our windows once the showers passed.

I have to say, though, that waking up to no power again this morning made it much harder to stay positive.  All of the kids' schools cancelled again.  Some of them were grumpy about the lack of power, too.  The morning seemed to drag. Kids were starting to get on each others' nerves.  I was feeling overwhelmed.

It wasn't horrible, but I'm definitely glad our time without power has ended!  I would have made a terrible pioneer!