Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Creating More Peace in Our Homes


Angell at Passionate and Creative Homemaking has shared the following thoughts for week 2 of the fall challenge to bring peace into our homes.  I know my post from yesterday about being an engaged mom and wife was a lot of info!  (If you missed it, just click here.)  

The ideas from this week's challenges are just as thought provoking!  So if you've had your daily dose of coffee...dive right in!


1. When you feel tempted to raise your voice, use a child’s name in a snarl, furrow your brow into a scowl or speak rapidly in anger…purposely lower your voice to just above a whisper.
Proverbs 15:1 says “A gentle answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
Focus on gentle words, facial expressions, and touches.
2. Purpose to not let someone else’s anger make you angry.
Many times as a wife and mom, I find myself responding to other’s emotions. Someone in the family is grumpy and two minutes later I’m grumpy too. Someone in the family is speaking harshly and two minutes later I’m speaking harshly too. Purpose to stay in control of your emotions and not let the other members of your family dictate your mood.

3. Yelling at a bud won’t make it bloom.
Your home will not blossom into a haven if you are not controlling your temper.
4. Continue to light your candle and pray for peace in your home.
Persevere in prayer for your family. James 5:16b says, “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

#1 is always a challenge to me.  I am definitely prone to yelling when my first (and second and third) request to do a specific task is ignored!  Teaching obedience is not the easiest task and I definitely have room for improvement in this area!  Plus, I don't want my kids' memories littered with images of mom freaking out on them.  Being sweet and calm is not the strong suit of a first born, type A personality...so that means I have to work even harder at it!

#2 is a struggle for me, too.  It isn't just when someone is angry, either. When people are sad or discouraged I can get caught up in those emotions, too.

#3 speaks for itself.  #4 I am enjoying.  It's amazing how just seeing the candle, whether it is lit or not, reminds me to pray for peace.  Saying that prayer reminds me Who is in control and is a reminder that He is always there.  That gives me more peace...and that creates more peace in our home all by itself!


The Coffee Shop