Tuesday, August 28, 2012

And So It Continues....

Two more kids off to school today.  Peter started his program and Andrew started his first day of senior year!  Yikes!  How did that happen?

I can't help thinking about Andrew's first year of school.  Andrew went to preschool at our parish school.  To say that he was excited about school would be a lie.  Andrew was a quiet and more introverted kid.  We always called him our little professor...very smart and serious.  When Andrew started wearing glasses when he was 6, it just completed the nickname:)

He did not enjoy noise.....at all.(Kind of ironic that God put him in our family, huh?!?)  The first day of school, Andrew's seat was at a table with a set of triplets.  They were all crying.  Loudly.  Poor Andrew was overwhelmed.

Andrew had a great teacher and a nice class, but he did not enjoy preschool.  He never cried about going.  But he always walked into school looking like he was walking into prison.  It was so sad.

Halfway through the year, Andrew's teacher had a baby and was out for 2 months.  That was hard on Andrew, too.

I remember walking Andrew to class one day during the winter.  He told me he didn't want to go to school.  I told him he had to go to school to learn.  "I can learn from books," came the answer from the child that taught himself to read.

I told Andrew he needed his teachers.  Andrew answered, "You can be my teacher, Mommy.  Besides, I already know how to stand in line!"

...out of the mouths of babes:)

Thankfully, Andrew does not feel the same way about high school as he did about pre-school.  Andrew is still quiet and serious....but he has grown tremendously in his involvement in school and church groups and activities.  

I can't believe he is a senior!  I'm so not ready to do this again!