Monday, May 6, 2013

The Reluctant Potty Trainer

Potty training is still a "no-go" with Luke!  I keep talking about it, and he uses the potty before bath time and sometimes one other time each day, but still no real success story!

He hit the 3 1/2 milestone in February but still has no real interest.  Last week I was really talking it up to get him to wear underpants this week....in a cheerleader sort of way!  Several nights in the past week he has woken up and not wanted to lay on the bed saying he was going to pee on it!  Despite my reminders that he had a diaper on and if he had an accident then I would just wash the sheets, we spent about an hour awake until he was able to drift off to sleep again.  Poor little guy...

All weekend I kept talking about wearing underpants.  I bought 2 containers of mini M&M's, promising him a few for each successful potty use.  I reminded him of Grandma and Pa's promise to bring him to the toy store to pick out a new truck once he wore underpants all day and used the potty.

This morning, despite having the choice of construction trucks or Mater underpants and showing him the candy, he wanted no part.  Luke went in the room and grabbed a diaper.  No amount of cajoling or encouraging moved him to change his mind.

Ugh!

So far a sticker book and the candy and the promise of a new toy have not worked!  You would think that since I have 6 other children that were successfully potty trained that this process wouldn't be so difficult!
  
Not so!

Looks like I will be spending some time on the internet looking for some new ideas!

Anyone have any suggestions and personal experience with reluctant potty trainers?