Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sleeplessness Strikes Again!

Sleeplessness strikes again at the Hamel household!  The last three nights have been rough with Kate and Luke.  At 4am this morning...(is that redundant putting in am and morning?  I feel like I'm always breaking grammar rules!)...Kate was wide awake and ended up waking up Luke, who started sniffling in the middle of the night with the start of another cold.  I was feeling pretty exhausted because both of them had already fussed 2 or 3 times(each!) and now I was praying that Kate would just fall back asleep despite the fact that Luke was whining asking for a tissue every 5 minutes.

Kate finally drifted off to sleep around 4:30 but Luke was still awake.  I got the "snuggle with me, Mommy" request, so as I cuddled with him I tried to remind my exhausted self that someday I will miss this.  (And I tried to ignore the fact that since Luke was breathing on me that I will probably have my own cold in 24 hours or less!)

This morning was not pretty.  I am tired and cranky and have bags under my bags!

Jay came in at 6:45 to ask me if I wanted to exercise.  After the night I had, there was no way I was dragging myself out of bed for anything but the ibuprofin I couldn't wait to take since I wasn't even completely awake and I already had a headache.

I have read several articles that talk about how hard it is to lose weight if you don't get enough sleep...

Yeah, I'm pretty much screwed!

I have that exhausted and discouraged seeingeverythingthroughdirtywindows kind of perspective today.  I also feel like biting everyone's head off every few minutes!  (And of course Luke wants to make every loud and annoying sound he possibly can!)

Today's Quiet Moment from Catholic Digest was waiting for me in my inbox this morning.....

The first end I propose in our daily work is to do the will of God; secondly, to do it in the manner he wills it; and thirdly to do it because it is his will.
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Can I just tell you that I would much rather just have a pity party today, spend the day snapping at everyone and justify my crankiness because of sleep deprivation that seems like it will never.go.away!

I can't really justify that a pity party is the will of God...or that caring for my family with crankiness would be the manner He wills it...

So, I'm trying really hard to take a deep breath.  

When Mike, who only has one more online final to take to finish his semester and his Associates Degree, asked me what I wanted to do today...my answer was "Take a nap."  Since it's a beautiful day here, I will drag myself head to the zoo with my oldest and my two youngest and try to enjoy living in the moment despite being really, really tired.

I will try to look forward to at least a short nap while Kate sleeps today and I bribe Luke with the IPad for a few quiet moments!