Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's A New Year!

The whirlwind of the holidays has come to the abrupt end, as it always does every year!  After over a week of family parties, get togethers with friends, lots of baking, cooking, cleaning...and all the shopping and wrapping in the weeks leading up to the big week....I have to say that I am ready for the normal routine.

Oatmeal, salads, and yogurt are looking pretty good right now, too!  It always amazes me that I can get sick of dessert by New Year's!

A part of me is sad that this special season is over.  Despite the busyness of it all, there is a lot of family bonding that happens around Christmas.  The teens seem a bit less grouchy and are tapping into their childhood excitement.  The kids seem to actually seek out and enjoy each others company more often.  Everyone seems a little more helpful to get ready for all the special treats and get togethers.

There is also the innocent excitement of the younger kids that makes the season even more enjoyable.  Seeing Ellie, and especially Luke, enjoying family traditions and Christmas morning fun made for some great memories!

As we slowly venture into the New Year and old routines....and try to be inspired to create some new and improved routines...I need to spend a little time re-charging.  I don't have set 'resolutions' right now, but definitely a few goals that I want to achieve.

This year will bring a lot of change.  Kate will be getting more independent.  Jon will get his driver's license.  Sarah will graduate from 8th grade.  Andrew will graduate from high school.  Mike will graduate from BCC.  Luke will be going to pre-school.  Andrew will start college somewhere!  Mike will probably be going away to college.  Peter will be aging out of the class he is in and starting in another class at a different school.  Jon will have to decide where he will apply to college.

And that's only the changes that I actually know about!

How will I change this year?

And how will I make time for the changes I hope to make while trying to help everyone else with the changes in their lives?

I'm not really sure yet.

I know that prayer is the first step.  Otherwise, if I try to change just on emotions or sheer will, my goals will become dust bunnies in the giant walk-in closet in my mind.....which is just as cluttered as the closet in my bedroom!

So, I am stepping into 2013 slowly.....trying to move forward with purpose and determination and fortitude!

I've always heard that 'slow and steady wins the race'!

I've got the slow part down!  Now to focus on the steady:)