Friday, March 7, 2014

We Survived to Friday!

Whew...we made it to Friday!  Let's jump right in!

1.Lent
We aren't the only family that has started Lent off with a bang!  The 4 regular members of my book club all had a child that was sick this week, too!  Two had a child with unexplained hives, one had a child with the dreaded stomach bug, and one had a child not feeling well.  Today, Jon is home with a sinus cold he has been fighting for over a week because the cold is winning!  A doctor's visit gave him the diagnosis of a sinus infection and an ear infection!
Ahhh....the joys of Lent's involuntary penances!

2.  Cavity Creeps
I'm showing my age with this one, but how many of you remember the Cavity Creeps?  Well, back in the 80's it was a dental campaign to keep your teeth clean and safe from the Cavity Creeps who want to make holes in teeth. 

I'm not sure how the Cavity Creeps popped into Jay's head, but he showed some of the kids around him the commercial on his phone.  The Cavity creeps have picks and drills and chant, "We make holes in teeth", while the 'Crest team' stops them.  Luke saw it with Jay and, since then, is completely freaked out about getting holes in his teeth!  Oy!

The good thing is he asks us to help him brush now so his teeth are healthier than they have ever been!   But, every once in a while, he gets this worried look on his little face and says, "I don't want to have holes in my teeth."  

Some things should have just stayed in the 80's.....

3.  Dating
I have been giving a lot of thought about dating lately.  Not for me, (haha), but ways to help make it a healthy experience for our kids.  Jay and I were married at 18 and had 3 kids by 21, so our experience is very different than our kids.(Thank God!)

Still, young adults and dating is a new phase for us and I want to help them the best I can.  I need to do some research....and, of course, pray:)  

Last night, I was having a conversation with Andrew and Jon....or at least I was trying to...
Me:  Have you ever read Josh Harris' book, I Kissed Dating Goodbye?
Andrew:  We have read and heard plenty of stuff about chastity!
Jon:  Are you trying to tell us not to date in college?
Jay:  No!  It's a book about courtship.
Andrew:(Mr. Sarcasm) We aren't royalty.
Me:  We are just trying to figure out the best way to help you find your future spouses.
Andrew:  Why?  Are they hiding?  Try the closet!
Me:(slightly exasperated) I don't know why I even try to have a serious conversation with you clowns!
Jon:  Dad...Mom called us clowns!
Jay:  I think you were lucky all she called you were clowns....

4.  Legos!
The kids all loved the Lego Movie we saw a couple of weeks ago!  It has inspired lots of Lego play!

Luke's version of the firetruck robot

So proud!

Jay, Ellie, and Jon(those are his legs) having some Lego fun.
On the couch behind Jay is Luke, who fell asleep on the couch.
That didn't stop the building!
Of course, Jay and Jon were only building  things to surprise Luke with in the morning;)
....or so they say!

5.  On the Way to Sainthood!
Bonnie from A Knotted Life got some exciting news yesterday.  The 7 member board of medical experts who advise the Congregation of the Causes of Saints at the Vatican unanimously approved her son James Fulton's alleged healing through the intercession of Fulton Sheen.  It is another big step on the way of Fulton Sheen to be named a saint!  

6. & 7. He Said/She Said
Jon:  I love you, Luke.
Luke: I like you.
Jon:(incredulously) You like me!!! Don't you love me?
Luke:(nonchalantly) I love you.

Andrew and I were in the living room and Sarah was taking a shower.  Instead of the usual singing....we heard Sarah reciting math equations!
Andrew:  Sarah, are you doing math in the shower?
Sarah:(sounding embarrassed) Shut up....I have a test tomorrow.  Don't judge me!
Andrew:  Nerd alert!

Here's hoping for a math free weekend!;)
Happy Friday!