Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What a Roller Coaster!

Well...Lent is less than 24 hours old and I already feel like I've been on a roller coaster with my emotions.  (I really don't like roller coasters!  I'm more of a lazy river in the water park kind of gal!)

I've felt like my emotions are a pot of soup that someone turned the heat up too high on and I'm just bubbling and spurting all over the place!

And I'm not even sure why I feel that way!?!

Welcome to Lent...guess I have 40 days to figure it out!

Tonight we got news from opposite extremes of the happiness spectrum.  The difficult news is that someone close to us has a struggling marriage that is escalating to the next stage.  It's breaking my heart for the pain they are both going through.......Prayers would be much appreciated.

An hour later, I remembered that the night before, a woman from our parish who also works for one of the colleges that Andrew applied to mentioned how great it was that he had gotten a merit scholarship.

A merit scholarship?  He had gotten an acceptance package but never mentioned anything about a scholarship to that university.

Well, I forgot about it by the time I got home.  Tonight I remembered and went to find his acceptance folder.  Sure enough, on the second sheet of paper behind his acceptance letter was the letter explaining the scholarship!

This particular school is our local state university.  In all honesty, it's his back-up school, but there was always a good chance he would actually go there without an incredible aid package from one of the other two schools.

Anyway...the scholarship was for $8000(!!!!!) and it's just under $12000 per year for commuters.  It's a guaranteed 4 year scholarship as long as he remains full time and keeps a 3.0 or better GPA!

Jay and I were floored!  Andrew is at work so I could only send him a long text over the news!

Andrew is still waiting to hear from the other two schools he applied to. Then Andrew will have to discern where the best place for him will be.  (In fact, I have to upload our tax info onto the FAFSA worksheet tonight since I just got it back today....and upload the tax info for the high school kids' financial aid....and finish paying the bills....and finish writing thank-you cards.  I am just drowning in paperwork right now!)

This is great news.  We are very proud of Andrew!

Like I said before...what a roller coaster.  It's only 7pm, but I'm spent and ready for bed!