Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The First Day of Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday...the beginning of a new Lent!  In Lent pasts, I have spent time on this blog talking about involuntary penances, a.k.a penances you don't "volunteer" for that God so kindly provides.  These involuntary penances happen all the time...even when it isn't Lent.  Yet, I find that they happen quite a bit more between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday!

Every Lent begins the dialogue in my mind about what I want to give up. (Usually food related since that's where many of my weaknesses lie!)  Then there's the dialogue in my head of what to add.  (This year it's to consistently say a family rosary and read a spiritual book...St. John Paul the Great by Jason Evert is the book that I feel led to read.)

Beyond that, it's to humbly accept and work through all those involuntary penances that come up every day.  So far, Lent has not disappointed me! (lol)  Peter was up and ready to go at 5am.  I attended Ash Wednesday Mass with Peter, Luke, and Kate with only Sarah and Ellie for back-up where Peter kept being obnoxious, Kate whined because I didn't bring gummies, and Luke was just his normally, wiggly 5 year old self!  Jon's car didn't pass inspection and has a multiple item list that needs to be attended to...or a car that needs to be replaced!  Sarah got a migraine right before dinner.  Jay and Jon went to the 7pm Mass so clean-up and bath-time fell in my court because my right-hand girl was in the dark on the couch!

It's Lent for sure!  Even though there were lots of involuntary penances to go around, that just means there were lots of opportunities for Grace to be had, too!  I will be the first to admit I wasn't perfect...but I wasn't a colossal failure either!  Patience and trust are always things I need to work on!
So, onto Day 2 we go!

(How did the first day of Lent go for you?!?)