Wednesday, June 11, 2014

To Love By Loving

You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working, and just so, you learn to love by loving.
 All those who think to learn in any other way deceive themselves.
St. Francis de Sales

This was the Catholic Digest Quiet Moment for yesterday.  When I read it, I did shudder to myself a little bit!  I often fall short in the cleaning, organizing, and cooking parts of motherhood.  The ways I fail emotionally....like in patience and love....are the things that bother me more, though.

I don't know about you, but there are moments when my kids, (little and big), speak or act with each other in not so nice ways.  While I'm quick to correct and get them to try a "do over", it doesn't escape me that their tone of voice and/or the words they use sound a little familiar.  

Patience is not my greatest virtue.  It's something I get to practice a lot in a house of 8 children with different strengths, weaknesses and personalities.  You would think I would have it mastered by now, but not so much!

It's not easy to react with patience and calm words in the midst of chaos....normal or otherwise!  There are times when I do really well, and there are times when I need a few 'do overs' of my own.

I remember being at a baby shower about 10 years ago and we were sitting with some of my parents' friends.  One of the women was talking about her son and his girlfriend.  The mom was disappointed that the girlfriend wasn't what she had hoped for.  Mom wanted a warm, fuzzy girl for her grown up son and this girl was not those things. 

At that point in the conversation, I had to stifle some serious laughter!  This mom is a really nice person, but there is no warm and fuzzy about her!  

And you know what they say.....boys will marry a girl like their mom and girls will marry a boy like her dad!

Doesn't that make you shudder a little?  Yeah, me too!

I've spent lots of years trying to grow and become more of who God means for me to be.  God's had a lot of chiseling to do and He is certainly far from finished!  

My hope and prayer is always that He makes up the difference in what my kids need and what I have to give.

And now, I am off attempting to make some memories.  I'm taking Luke and Kate strawberry picking at a local farm.  Today is my mom's birthday(Happy Birthday, Mom!) and she loves strawberries!  So, strawberry shortcake is the dessert on the menu.  You can't get much better than fresh, local strawberries!  (Well, as long as Luke and Kate don't eat/squish them all:)

I'm bringing Jon for back-up!  (and my camera!)
Enjoy this beautiful Wednesday!