Friday, June 20, 2014

An Exciting Week

This past week was filled with some excitement and surprises!  Let's hop right in to 7 Quick Takes to wrap up the week!

1.  "The dreaded 'F' Word"
This week was somewhat monumental since my birthday fell on Wednesday and it was a "big" year!  There are lots of ways to talk around it, but I am now the dreaded "f" word, (the first one), or 30/10 as my sil says, or, my favorite................I am now a member of the 39 forever club!

So, here's a look at my week and the many ways that my family and friend made me feel special!

2.  Surprise
A few weeks ago, I threw a Surprise 40th party for Jay with a big 100+ people, 80's themed shindig complete with PacMan photo wall and bouncy house for the kids.  It was a great time!

Fast forward to this past Saturday.  Jay had put on the calendar that we were having a date night a couple of weeks ago.  It was a little out of the ordinary, but I didn't think too much about it.  I had a feeling that something was up, but I couldn't connect all the dots.  

We arrived at one of my two favorite restaurants, and my mom had organized a small, intimate girls night out!  It was just right.  The food was yummy, the company was great, the centerpieces my mil made were beautiful, the cake was delicious......and I didn't have to do the dishes!:)  

3. Birthday Blessings
My actual birthday was on Wednesday and it was a very nice, laid back day.   I went to Mass with some of the kids in the morning, treated everyone to breakfast at Dunkin, and used a gift card to buy pizza from one of my favorite take-out spots for lunch!  

All the kids were very considerate all day.  Sarah, Ellie, and Jon surprised me with chocolate covered strawberries from the strawberry plants that they planted for me last year for Mother's Day.  Whenever I asked any of them to do something, they hopped up and did it right away.  Mike even offered to do extra work!

My friend, Mary, dropped off two very yummy specialty cupcakes after lunch.  (I cut them up and shared them:)  

My parents got cookout food for dinner so I didn't have to plan anything and Jay's mom made a cake.  Wow, writing all that down makes me realize the day revolved around food!  Good thing Ellie and I took a long walk that morning....something I plan to have as part of our regular routine this summer!

4. What Not to Wear
I have several very stylish friends that make me want to be a more put together mom.  When Jay asked what I wanted for my birthday, I told him that I wanted to go out with my friends acting as my personal shopping consultants!  My very own episode of "What Not to Wear"...just not in New York.....and with a small fraction of the show's budget!  

5.  And Speaking of What Not to Wear....
The thought has been in my head for a while, but it has been getting louder lately!  I have a dresser and closet full of clothes, but the majority of it are clothes I don't like/don't look right/don't fit right.  I kept saying that I should go through everything and get rid of whatever I don't love...but I have a feeling there won't be much left!

Now that I get to go shopping thanks to some generous gifts....especially from my husband!...my plan is to go through my clothes this weekend with a fine tooth comb!

The shopping trip is planned for this coming week and I.can't.wait!:)  I love to shop!  

6.  Not All About Me!

This past Sunday was Father's Day.  We all tried to make Jay feel really special and I think we all accomplished that goal!  EllieSarahJonand Andrew all did a guest post from Sunday to Wednesday.  (Mike took the easy way out and will be treating Jay to a Pawsox game in the near future;)  

They all did a great job and Jay was very touched by all the memories they shared!

7.  Summer is (mostly) here!
The pool is open!  And cold!  I'm more of a mid summer pool person!  The kids and Jay are brave souls....well, most of them anyway!


Love this pic!  Kate is curled up so nothing touches the water!
She's my "deck buddy"!  We just put our feet in:)
School has been winding down, too!  Luke's was out last week.  Ellie finished on Tuesday and Sarah finished yesterday.  The only one left in school is Peter. (Yay, me:)  But his last day is this coming Tuesday.  

Sarah enjoying her first day of summer with her siblings:)

It is always a challenge to get into the summer routine!  We will figure it out, though.  I'm hoping for a fun summer this year!

Here's hoping for a good weekend!  Enjoy the sunshine!