Saturday, April 28, 2012

Unexpected Moments of Humility

So, I'm at the local grocery store today picking up a few things I forgot to put on my list after yesterday's weekly shopping trip(ugh!).  I was in the 12 items or less lane(a rare moment for me!).  I had a female cashier, a bagger, and another guy getting ready to take over the cashier position.(Let's call him the 'waiting cashier' to try to make things less confusing!)

The bagger in the lane next to mine was talking about how he was turning 21 tomorrow and having a big party.  The 'waiting cashier' made a comment about how he thought the birthday boy only looked 19.  My cashier asked the 'waiting cashier' how old she looked(she's clearly in her early 20's).  He said, "Uhh....34...no 38?"  She laughed and said, "I wish I was 38.  Then I would be done with all this."(Which I took to mean done being a cashier in a grocery store.)  'Waiting cashier' said, "Why would you want to be 38.  That's old...it's only 2 years until 40!"

Unfortunately, I had no witty retort....It must be because I'm old!  After all,  I'm weeks away from 38.....and that's only 2 years until 40!

Don't you just love those unexpected moments of humility?!?