Friday, May 22, 2020

A Little Catch Up

Linking up with Kelly for Quick Take Friday!

1. Mother's Day
Mother's Day was a really nice day. It started with tv Mass, then a really nice brunch with strawberry waffles, quiche, bacon, sausage and Jay's famous breakfast potatoes. My parents joined us and I had all my kids together, with the exception of my almost daughter-in-law, Marisa. I wanted to take a group picture, but I have a couple of kids who loathe pictures and Marisa was missing so I gave them all a pass and just enjoyed the day. I was completely spoiled by everyone and treated to flowers, a gift card to one of my favorite restaurants, homemade strawberry cupcakes, my van cleaned out(!), dishes washed, and my hair colored a few days later by my oldest who is almost finished with barber school. (my dad, who has been a barber and owned his salon for almost as long as I've been alive helped:) It helps to have family members that can color your hair at home during a pandemic!

2. The Light At The End of The Tunnel(finally!)
Our state is finally lifting some restrictions. Our diocese is starting Mass up again in one more week and I.can't.wait! I know it's going to be strange with masks and social distancing, but being able to be present at the Mass in person and receive the Eucharist will be amazing. I feel like we are finally heading in the right direction on the long road to normal!

3. A Special Pandemic Birthday
Sarah celebrated her 21st birthday on Tuesday! I really don't know how to process the fact that four of my children are now over 21. I'm not exactly sure how I got old enough to have four kids over 21, but there it is just the same! That's half my kids! How did this even happen?!?

Anyway...moving on..

Sarah got several social distancing visits from her friends that made her really happy.I made a special dinner for her: shrimp tacos with cilantro lime slaw, homemade guacamole, as well as chicken fajitas for the non seafood loving crowd. Ellie is proving herself quite the baker and made Sarah dairy free red velvet cupcakes for dessert. We got Sarah a weighted blanket that she had wanted, as well as an IOU for a mother/daughter lobster roll lunch in the very near future. Her favorite gift was delivered two days later. It was a US Marine Corp sweatshirt from her boyfriend, Mike, who is...surprise...a marine. Mike is also stationed in Japan and, bc of the Coronavirus, missed his planned trip home at the end of April. He should be coming for a visit sometime this summer...and I guarantee it will be a highly anticipated vacation! Jay and I are looking forward to meeting him as well. 

Curious how they met? About a year ago, Mike had been home visiting his family. The night before he left to go back, Mike wanted to say goodbye to his best friend, Alex. Alex happened to be at the movies with a small group of friends which included...you guessed it...Sarah. Mike met the group after the movies and they all talked for a short time. Mike eventually asked Sarah for her number. Sarah thought it was because he wanted to be friends. (oh, Sarah) And they've been face timing twice a day for many months now. 

And that's how my daughter managed to find herself with a boyfriend, who is a marine, that lives in Japan that we have never met. (in person..he seems very nice over Face Time) THE END 
(Or more appropriately, to be continued.....:)

Sibling love


Mike's Hard Lemonade was Sarah's drink of choice for the party!

The infamous 1st meeting..Mike is in the back:)


4. Another Special Birthday
Wednesday would have been Therese's 22nd birthday. I love how important it is to Kate to remember a sister she never met. I let Kate write the (minimal) events we had on our whiteboard calendar in the kitchen this month. She put Therese's birthday up without any reminders from me...Kate just remembers that Therese's birthday is the day after Sarah's. 

During the month of May, we have made a real effort to pray the entire rosary, (instead of our usual one decade with the littles), each night with whatever kids are around for the intention of Jon and Marisa's wedding. At the end of each rosary, Jay prays to several saints and Kate always makes sure to add, "St. Therese our sister". It's just so sweet.

5. Memorial Day
Even though each day is still like Ground Hog Day....we have arrived at Memorial Day! This Sunday was supposed to be the weekend my son, Jon, got married. That special day is now pushed off a bit. Even though we are disappointed that everything that had been planned for two years isn't happening, we are excited that we have something to count down and look forward to! And the countdown is...

6. 37 More Days!
June 28th is the day Jon and Marisa will say those long awaited "I Do's". 37 more days....the countdown is on and we can all (finally) joyfully anticipate this special moment. We still aren't exactly sure what everything will look like, but we at least know that they can have the wedding at the church and fit the people that are able to come! We aren't sure whether the reception will happen the same day yet...but we're figuring out things as we go along. I've put it all in Mary's hands, and I'm sure that however it works out it will be beautiful and blessed!

7. Enjoy the Long Weekend!
I'm most grateful that I don't have to coordinate school on Monday!