Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Live In The Moment

This is a summer of firsts for us as a family. And changes....lots of changes.

#12daysandcounting

In just 12 short days, the first of our crew will exchange vows and pledge to live his life for another. I can not say this enough....it is so surreal!

How did all those years go by so fast? I remember the early morning hour about 24 and half years ago so well...when all 9lbs 8ounces of baby boy entered into the world. He was a big baby with wide shoulders and a big head. (The delivery nurse said so herself.) Jay and I settled on the name Andrew, which was neither of our first or second choices for names but held the place of "third string quarterback" on each of our lists. Names were debated often in the month leading up to his birth. And when Andrew finally arrived and Jay saw his size and what I went through, he leaned over and whispered into my ear, "You can name him anything you want to..." And he meant it. But in my heart I knew that compromise was the way to go. The name Andrew, which means manly, definitely fit this squalling new baby that seemed very unhappy to be removed from his first home. Andrew cried so much after he was born. I was exhausted and I remember Jay walking and gently bouncing him around the delivery room, speaking soothingly into his ear to try and make the transition into the world a little easier.

This baby that I held in my arms is now an adult with a grown up job and getting ready to begin his own life separate from us. His world is about to change...and so is ours. He's found the perfect apartment to start out their new life. He hasn't moved into it quite yet because the floors were just redone and there is some work in the bathroom being taken care of. (Much to the chagrin of Ellen who has been eagerly awaiting Andrew's move because she is claiming his room for her own!) But these extra days of having him under our roof are quickly coming to an end.


Tried sneaking a pic of Liz sharing about her bachelorette weekend.
I just love how Andrew is so happy listening to her. 

They caught me!


Summer always goes by more quickly than I want it to. And this summer has gone by even quicker than usual with all the planning for the upcoming festivities. But I have made a much more conscious effort to soak in all those seemingly ordinary moments that make life so full. Enjoying dinners with whoever is home at the moment and enjoying their presence. Soaking in the days that Jon, who is continuing the work at UNH for his grad program and living up there full time, is home with everyone and life feels just right knowing that everyone is safe under our roof and in their own beds. Listening to shouts of joy as Jay plays with Luke and Kate in the pool after dinner while the weather is still warm and the extra light extends our days.
Kate pretending to make an "angry face" lol

Some "friendly" basketball competition

Andrew isn't the only one who has a big life change this year. Peter turns 18 tomorrow and, because he is profoundly affected by Autism, that means a whole new world and enormous amounts of paperwork to set up things like guardianship and disability and making sure that everything is done correctly so that we can care for Peter properly both now and in the future. It's just a tad overwhelming!
Peter looking like he's ready for an 80's Jassercize video!

Sarah is still searching for an apartment close to Bridgewater since she starts grad school right after Labor Day. That will be two kids moving out in the same month! Half of our kids will not be living with us. It's mind boggling!

Ellie is getting ready to enter her junior year of high school. It still surprises me that high school goes by so fast! She got her permit recently, went to driving school class, and is working hard to get the summer work for her 3 AP classes finished by the deadline, babysitting for her younger siblings the mornings I work, and playing in a summer basketball league.

Luke is one week away from double digits! My youngest son is growing and changing....and I know it won't be much longer until he won't be my "little boy" anymore. And Kate, my baby who is no longer a baby. She still wants to do everything her other siblings can do and is just growing all the time.(She cannot wait to make her First Communion this year!) She has long and lanky limbs that are a struggle to arrange comfortably when she's sitting on my lap for the stories that she still enjoys reading together! But I am determined to enjoy every cuddle and snuggle while she's still willing to give them!

"Live in the moment" has become my mantra this summer, because I'm very aware of how much I'm going to miss them once they are over. These moments are so incredibly special, and I appreciate them so much more now that I understand how numbered they truly are.