Friday, January 5, 2018

Soak

Happy New Year!

It always amazes me how all the crazy, wonderful, sometimes overwhelming, moments of December go by SO fast!

A few years ago, I blogged about trying to figure out a theme word for the year. I don't think I've really done a theme word since then, but it was something that popped into my mind again as 2017 was coming to a close.

A couple of days ago, one of my Facebook friends had posted a random word generator from Jen Fulwiler. I decided to give it a whirl! After a quick prayer in my head, the word that came up was

soak

I feel like "soak" is a great word for me this year. It's a reminder to "soak" in every moment because our ever growing, ever changing family seems to be transforming before my eyes. My "baby" is six...years!...and seems to be growing every week! Even though she will always be my baby, she clearly isn't a baby anymore.(sniff, sniff)

Three nights ago, all of our older kids were here hanging out. This has been a rare occasion as of late between work hours(Andrew), girlfriends(Jon and Andrew), and the fact that Mike doesn't live at home! They were all playing Jackbox TV games. (Andrew has several of these games on his computer and he hooks it up to the TV. We all use our phones/Ipad to join in. Our favorites are Fibbage, Quiplash, and Drawful...but Andrew just bought a few new ones that they really like, too.) 
I was actually reading in bed because my bed time is much earlier than their bed time! But our older crew was doing a lot of laughing and clearly enjoying each other's company. It warmed my heart! I realize that these moment will be even more rare as they become true adults and move out on their own. So, I soaked in all that laughter and sibling camaraderie and stored it all in my heart. 

There were so many days and years when our kids were all younger that every day felt just about the same. Get up, breakfast, school/care for little ones, laundry, lunch, dishes, laundry, homework, dinner, baths, bed time, repeat...for years.  

Things are different now with a mostly older crew. Now I just want days and years to slow down because I know that I will blink and it will be Luke and Kate going to high school. Of course, my hope is that by then there will be the sounds of grandchildren filling our home but it still won't be the same.

So...this year I will soak it all in. The vacation to a warm, sunny place this February. The First Communion, Confirmations, and graduations come Spring. All of the ordinary and special moments both planned and unplanned in this brand new year that stretches in front of me just waiting to unfold. 

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.