Wednesday, April 1, 2015

On Giving and Receiving

I'm sorry...I totally cannot get back into a blogging rhythm!  Life feels like it's running at warp speed and I'm in a ship without a hyper drive!

(In case anyone is wondering, that was a Star Wars reference...which Luke is STILL obsessed about! He walks around the house re-enacting Star Wars scenes and "pew-pewing" everything!  It is super cute!  His favorite scene to enact right now is when Luke Skywalker is captured by the Wampa and hung upside down in its cave.  Then Luke Skywalker  has to use the force to get his lightsaber and cut himself free.  OUR Luke hangs over the back of the love seat and places the light saber just out of reach.  Then he pretends to stumble out of the cave!  He is such a cutie!)

Lent has felt REALLY long this year!  I'm glad we have almost made it to Easter!  I can't say I have been perfect with my Lenten Penances or the added prayer.  I'd say I was 60% successful, 40% lazy.  I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a little disappointed in myself....I just didn't feel the 'oomph' this year!

I have enjoyed the Dynamic Catholic Lenten series that arrives in my inbox most days. The short inspiring videos and quotes were really good.(I'd say I was 80% successful at watching all the videos!)  Today's video was especially good! It was about using all the little everyday things as ways to lead us to holiness.  He gave some really good ideas that I had never heard before.  It's only 6 minutes so check it out:)... http://pages.dynamiccatholic.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?ftf=true&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuqTLd%2B%2FhmjTEU5z16uUuUaG0lMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4DRMFrI%2BSLDwEYGJlv6SgFSLnMMaho1bgOXBY%3D

One other Lenten idea that came through Dynamic Catholic stuck with me the last couple of weeks!  We hear all the time that life is about "give and take".  Their challenge was to think about life as opportunities to "give and receive".  Even saying the words "give and take" vs. "give and receive" gives me a totally different feeling inside.  "Give and take" implies that I am in control of what I get.  It is harsher word...a selfish word.

If I think of Life as opportunities to "give and receive" it feels much more peaceful.  It reminds me that I'm not in control...which I'm not anyway even though some days I like to pretend that I am!

Thinking about "give and receive" takes a lot of pressure off of me.  It reminds me that I just have to do my job and let God do His....which is a good thing bc when I try to do His job everything gets screwed up!  It's actually a relief to remind myself that everything does not depend on me!  When things get too crazy and out of balance I tend to forget that!

Thankfully, this very moment is an opportunity to practice the concept of "give and receive". God willing....there will be many more days to work on letting go and letting God!