Thursday, October 16, 2014

What a Crazy Day!

Wow...the last day and a half has been C.R.A.Z.Y!

Late on Tuesday night, I wrote a post lamenting my children growing up and out and how last weekend was a bit emotional at times.  When I finished it about 11:30...already way past my bedtime, (10 is best but 10:30 is the usual), I received an email from the school alert at Assumption saying there had been a bomb threat and that police and administrators were on their way to the college to determine the next step!

Needless to say...sleep wasn't an option.

I texted Mike and Andrew and they were both in their rooms.  I told them to keep me up-to-date with any new info.

At midnight, Mike called me and told me they were evacuating the school.  Andrew texted me at the same time saying he might have to drive all the way home.  Thankfully, Mike's room mate's girlfriend lived only 20 minutes away and her parents graciously took in Mike, his 3 room mates, and Andrew.  (Sometimes having a big brother on campus is a good thing;)

The phone had woken up Luke, so I went to lay down with him and get him settled with the house phone and the cell phone right next to me.  I was a little stressed to say the least...praying for their safety...and waiting to hear that they got off-campus.

A little while later I got a text from Andrew that Mike had picked him up.  About 12:45, I got a text from Mike that they had arrived at the house they were spending the night.  It took a while to get to sleep after that!

What a crazy night!  With all the worries in the world right now...new respiratory viruses, Ebola(!), bomb threats, etc....I just want to put my family in a bubble!  So stressful!

I was completely bleary eyed Wednesday morning!  Wednesday was a busy day, too.

In the morning, I walked with Luke's class to the local park so the kids could play and collect leaves to make an autumn wreath with.  I like being able to help with Luke's class, especially since Luke is quite...ahem...busy!  I had to laugh though when his teacher, (who I love!...she is so patient with the kids and always doing lots of hands on projects), sent me and my friend, Laura, an email thanking us for sharing our time and talents with the class.

I laughed because I feel like I spend a lot of time "herding" my own young children...particularly Peter, Luke and Kate.  So, helping to walk a class to the park is certainly right up my alley!

If moms wrote up a job resume and included all our specialties on it, what a comical list it would be!

Kate came with me in the morning, so she was tired after spending time at the park.  She took a nap, which was good since last night was the first Momnipotent Book Study meeting and it is easier for Jay if she stays up later on the nights I am out.  She still wants just Mommy at bedtime so it can get ugly!

While Kate was napping, I convinced Luke to snuggle on the couch with me and I put in "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" that we rented from the library.  I got a cat nap in that I desperately needed!  Then it was time to make cookies for the meeting, start on dinner, and try and do a little clean up.

I have to say a big thank-you to my family, because to say the house was less than stellar when I left for the book study would be an understatement!  They all worked together and got multiple rooms cleaned up before I got home!  I know it's not an easy task and I really appreciated it!

The first book study went great!  We had 8 participants plus 6 small group leaders.  I think that everyone enjoyed the video component of the evening and we all encouraged each other in our motherhood journey during the discussion times.  It was great to have a moms' night out and I'm enjoying getting to know new people and getting to know the participants I already knew on a deeper level!

I can't wait until next week!  (note to self:  bring tissues:)

And just so I don't "leave you hanging"....
The Assumption story conclusion...there was no bomb, (thank-you, God!), but the kids were not cleared to move back into the dorms until after 6pm last night!  A whole lot of craziness and expense for someone to play a foolish trick!

Hopefully, the rest of the week will be nice and boring!