Monday, September 10, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training

Luke received some truck theme underpants for his birthday in August from Jay's mom.  She thought Luke's love for trucks might encourage using the potty.

Last night Jay and I spent time talking to Luke about being a good boy and using the potty.  We told him he couldn't go to school next year if he didn't use the potty.  I even showed him the big boy underpants again, hoping to renew interest.

It seemed to work.  He was talking about the underpants this morning.  I told him that if he wore underpants, he needed to poop and pee in the potty to keep the trucks dry and clean.  Luke said, "ok!"

So, I helped him take off his jammies and night time diaper.  We went into the bathroom and he did go a little.  Then I put on the underpants.  Luke spent a few minutes looking at the trucks on them...especially the excavators.

After those first few minutes, Luke looked up at me with his big brown eyes.  In his matter-of-fact voice he said, "Mommy, I can't do this.  I need my diaper."  And he took off his underpants and waited for me to put a diaper on.

Oh, well.  At least he didn't pee on the furniture.  One of these days it will click!  Hopefully it happens pretty soon, though.  Luke is a solid little boy and even the largest size diapers are starting to look like a Sumo wrestler's loincloth on him!