Saturday, March 10, 2012

Everyday tasks

The pleasure of doing a thing in the same way at the same time every day, and savoring it, should be noted." Arnold Bennett
There is something comforting about routine.  There's something so satisfying about the laundry being washed and folded, or the dinner dishes washed and put away, or the living room tidied at the end of the day that just gives a sense of order and comfort.  I will be the first to admit that some days these everyday tasks feel like drudgery!  Some days after dinner is finished and Jay and I sit at the table just a few minutes longer to avoid the task of cleaning up.  I will look at him and joke, "Ok, can you call the maid, please?" 

Everyone in the family, with the exception of Kate and Luke, help out with the after dinner clean up.  Generally it goes smoothly, though some laziness and avoidance occasionally rears its ugly head.  Our sweeper and garbage emptier, who shall remain nameless, often needs to be reminded multiple times to do his jobs.  I just love the tug of war against authority that teenagers sometimes feel is necessary!(insert sarcastic face and eye roll here!)

Saturday mornings are "chore days" in our house.  I love when almost everyone is home, except Mike who works, and we get some extra things done.  I've learned to start early...by early afternoon if the items on the chore list haven't been done then they most likely won't get done.  I write everyone's name on a piece of paper and start with "clean your room" and then give a couple more things that need to be done.  It isn't super difficult, but it's nice to have some extra help to try and keep the house running smoothly and relatively clean.

On the days I really don't feel like doing things, I try to put a thankful and positive spin on the clean up.  For example, I look at the daunting pile of dishes and be thankful I have a dishwasher and am healthy enough to be able to wash the dishes.  And when I look at the never ending piles of laundry, I try to be thankful that all my children are together in our home.  It doesn't make doing the task fun!  But I think it gives me a better attitude...at least most days!

So, I extend a cheer to all the tired, busy moms who work so hard to make their house a home!  And, now, back to the laundry!  Only three loads to fold and one more to wash for today!