Wednesday, May 30, 2012

You Never Stop Learning As A Parent

A quote that I read this morning from the blog, Adventures in Babywearing, really spoke to me.  She was talking about her kids and said, 
"And they make me who I am as much as I made them them."

That's just so true!


My children have taught me how to love someone more than myself(at least most of the time!)

They have taught me how to accept change(because they are always changing...and not just their clothes!)

They have taught me how to work with people's strengths and strengthen people's weaknesses because they are all so different and excel(and struggle) in different areas.

They have taught me that multi-tasking is a fine art that can always be improved upon!

They have taught me to really listen in order to understand what they are really saying.(i.e., "i'm fine" can have many different meanings)

They have taught me to listen to my heart to know when something they say they "need" is really only a want....and to know when something they "want"(like playing basketball with Jay or watching a movie together) is really a need.

They have taught me that teenagers need as much, and sometimes more, attention and effort as when they were younger because they are still growing and changing SO much and their  emotional needs are very important.

My children have taught me that I need way more patience than I possess and constantly give me opportunities to fail....I mean grow... in this area!

My children have taught me so many things beyond showing me how talented I am at surviving through years and years of sleep deprivation!

They have taught me way more than I have listed here...but I have to stop blogging and attend to something else my kids have given me lots of practice in over the years....the art of diaper changing!!!